First wobbly step (no Gin involved)

Today marked the start of a very special challenge for myself and Socks. As I am sure many of you are aware, the eventing world lost a very bright young star Hannah Francis in August 2016. Hannah was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (a rare form of bone cancer) aged just 17 years old and set up the charity Hannah's Willberry Wonder Pony in March 2016. The charity raises funds to aid research into osteosarcoma, and also for Willberry's Wishes - equestrian experiences for seriously ill people. Sadly Hannah lost her brave fight after painful and debilitating treatment, but the charity lives on to continue the fantastic work she started. As part of the fundraising, last year the Wobbleberry challenge was set for middle aged riders, nervous or otherwise; but those who would not normally consider eventing, to compete in a BE 80(T) class at an affiliated event. The link to the challenge is here  https://www.wobbleberries.com/the-challenge

Together with two friends, Liane Francis and Gemma Green, I have signed up to the challenge and eagerly await my starter pack. Once it arrives I will be able to provide you with the link to sponsor me/donate to this amazing charity.

As this challenge is going to be quite a push for me, I need to get to some serious goal setting! As a die-hard stationery* fan, I couldn't resist the purchase of an Equestrian Success Journal. It is a lovely book with prompts to set out your performance goals and achievements throughout the year, accompanied by arty shots and inspiring quotes. You can buy one here http://outwardsuccess.com/store/i0/equestrian-success-journal-2018   *for those who get stationary and stationery muddled... stationery with an E as in pen, stationary with an A as in halt!


So onto today (eventually, when you have an OH like mine you get used to a long story... why say in 3 words what you can say in 20?!) Gemma picked us up bright and early to attend a jumping clinic at the lovely Four Elms with Janine Lamy. I had a rubbish night's sleep through nerves and needed quite a few nervous tiddles this morning (regretting the no Gin part of the story...) but I actually had a fab time! 
Socks has quite a strong opinion of what she feels is right and wrong, as Janine so eloquently put it, "she would definitely be the union rep, quoting her rights at every opportunity!" Her napping got progressively better throughout the session and she jumped a really lovely round at the end. It is a shame we didn't manage to film today. It was lovely to train under Janine's expert eye, she understood Socks instantly and told me off for micro-managing her. Even if I feel like a hooray Henry I have got to let her go forward and sort herself out. She is a quick thinking and quick footed mare so I have got to give her a bit more responsibility now. Came away feeling very positive, and although Tavish was a nappy little monkey, I think Gemma got some really encouraging work too.

On the way home we popped into The Elms, which is a super little tack shop/nursery/feed store. Picked up a major bargain of some leather gaiters reduced to £15!!! I have very odd shaped legs so when they fitted I was thrilled 😁 We sat in the little tea room there and had tea and cheese scones... we could see the horsebox through the window and it is obviously a good part of their training to stand patiently on the lorry!


All in all a pretty good morning out, can't wait for the next one! But for now I need to get on with packing away Christmas, it is twelfth night and I could do without any bad luck....



Comments