When it never rains but it pours


In what seems like months of rain, gale force winds and freezing temperatures; the horse world hasn't been the most pleasant place to hang out recently. Everyone you speak to is sick of the weather, sick of not being able to ride or getting soaked when they do, sick of what feels like the world being waterlogged and/or frozen. Generally sick of horses! Today has been a smasher of a day, Mother Nature totally tricked us into believing it was Spring. So obviously I went for a lovely ride on both my horses... oh, except I didn't... because they are both lame!! It would be really easy to sit down and cry about it, moan that all my plans are going out the window and give up working towards my goals. 
But let's find a little rainbow in the rain, I am blessed in my job to have LOTS of lovely horses to ride. Remember back to the best lessons at the riding school or Pony Club, when you could swap ponies. What fun! I urge you all to have a pony swap with your friends whenever you get the opportunity. It is so very useful in terms of your own riding development, a different horse may highlight weaknesses or bad habits; or give you an idea of how something should/shouldn't feel. Even if you are glad to get back on your own horse afterwards, it is still a positive learning tool. Apart from this, riding fitness is so different to any other type of fitness. Obviously it helps to have good cardiovascular stamina, but that appearance of doing nothing takes immense tonal strength deep down in those forgotten core muscles. I am determined this year to be in the best shape I can be, throw back to when my tummy looked like this...


So back to today, a brief insight into the 5 horses I had the pleasure of riding over the course of my day.
1) Rocco a 15hh Appaloosa who I have been riding for quite a while. His owner finds his mid week session with me keeps him tuned up to compete at the weekends. He was in a very amicable mood today so after warming up we focused on lateral work, he is established in shoulder in and leg yield but is struggling a little with the travers and half pass. By breaking it down into easy steps for him, his confidence in moving his body is growing. He is a very rewarding little horse to ride (despite his insistance there are monsters behind the mounting block).
2) Tobias a 16hh Irish Cob whom I started riding when the vet suggested a training programme to help his neurological issues. We have worked consistently to help him understand the balance with a big emphasis on coming through from behind, and although he can feel a little clumpy when you first get on; it is like riding a different horse now. Happy horse, happy vet, happy owner.
3) Betsy a 14.2hh Traditional HW cob. I alternate with Betsy's owner between schooling and lessons which is working well to help them both progress. As a thick set little cob, she can be very strong and was quite wilful when I first met her. She finds maintaining straightness a challenge and as such her right lead canter is not yet established. Today we worked a lot on changes of bend and direction over poles, which helps the suppleness and straightness to develop.
4) Skinny a 17.2hh Warmblood came to his current owner with an injury to his hindleg. After the all clear from his vet and physio, I was called in to provide structured work in the school to target proper use of the leg and facilitate the break down of scar tissue. I work a lot on shoulder fore into circles, with strategic transitions to keep him light as he would be happy to galumph round on his head. He is learning to stay more through in all his work and has finally accomplished rein back!
5) Tavish a 15hh Highland (my favourite!) I had the pleasure of backing Tav as he broke his owner's foot by standing on it! He has come such a long way since then, another one that we are working on suppleness and lightness. He is crafty in that he can use speed to be behind your leg, and has a few quirky habits to be worked through. Tonight we focused a lot on his halt transitions and getting more jump in the canter. Here he is at a dressage party on Sunday.


So just a really quick look at an average selection of the horses I ride, it takes all sorts and I learn from every one of them. If you would like more detailed descriptions of a typical session, let me know. The comments box is there for you... use it!!

There is one more BIG rainbow to come from all this rain, but my lips are sealed until Friday... see you back here for some exciting news!

Comments

  1. I’m really enjoying reading your blogs and I can’t wait to start having our regular lessons again, you have helped me so much with my Baby Bren since I got him as a rising 2 year old. Can you believe he is 5 this year, also have a pony with a stiff back leg! I hope yours are better too very soon. Be back Friday ❤️ Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here