Who is she??

Well here we are, January 1st. A brand new year, new start, new me blah blah blah. In reality, it is raining and my OH has had to work so I am feeling distinctly out of the spirit (although maybe still full of last night's prosecco).
I have decided to start writing a blog for a few reasons, mainly as a communication tool on top of Facebook and Instagram; to allow an insight into my coaching/training and judging life. It is also a way to make myself accountable, in keeping to my plans and goals for the year. There will definitely be a peppering of my own rants and ramblings too.


So, for those of you who don't know me, a little introduction. I am a 36 year old dressage coach/riding instructor, very much caught in the no man's land between amateur and professional. I work full time with horses, but do not have a yard base, a string of owners supplying horses for me or any sponsors. I try to play with the big kids but I will admit it is hard when you are a bit short, a bit fat, and very poor! However I am out there doing it and things can only get better! I have a loyal set of clients whose horses are going from strength to strength, for me it is as rewarding to see someone gain enough confidence to compete their first prelim as it is to teach flying changes. We all start somewhere. With their permission, you will get to follow some of their stories in this blog.
I am also a freshly qualified List 4 BD judge, I am keen to progress through the lists to List 1 so my journey in this direction will all be here too.


Well, onto my horses, you will get to know them very well... Firstly Mouse, or Vinds-Mindes Midway, a semi-retired Danish warmblood gelding. He is my horse of a lifetime and has been the reason I get out of bed in the morning for a very long time. I bought him as an unbroken 4 year old and trained him myself to compete up to Inter 1 level. We did this with very sporadic training due to lack of funds, but I can credit Mark Butler, Louise Evans, Leanne Wall and Sally Andrews with helping us greatly. Never forget your trainers guys... even if you move on to training with big names, remember the people who got you on the ladder! (Small rant alert!) Secondly, the inspiration for the name of my blog, Socks Please. As of today, the rising 5 Welsh x WB chestnut mare, she has promised me 5 year olds don't do any of the nonsense she has been doing as a 4 year old 😂 I fully appreciate I was asking for trouble, she is certainly a fiesty little dragon, but I see a talent in her and I am determined to nurture it. I backed her at the end of 2016 as a 3 year old and last year she quickly progressed up to Novice level dressage, competing at the Area festival at Brook Farm. Due to her anxiety issues we haven't achieved any world beating scores yet, but I am so pleased with her progress so far. This year will see the growth in her dressage career, alongside starting to show jump and cross country. We have our sights on a special challenge, which will be the topic of my second blog.

So there it is, my first blog. I hope I have done it right, that you enjoy it and will return to read some more throughout the year.


Comments