Who's on your team?

Well a big hello after a long unplanned absence from blogging. I started the year last year with such great intentions of regularly blogging, but as those of you who read the posts will know, I was cataloguing a list of bad luck! To be totally honest with you, it affected my mental state so much I just really didn't WANT to share those times. Now of course there are people with far bigger problems, but for me at that time it was enough to put me in a bit of a slump and I wasn't feeling very sociable or inspiring!

So what's changed?
I am not one for the cliche of New Year - New Me, but I do think January is a good time to look at habits and what you might be inclined to change given a fresh start. One of the biggest things for me this year is the arrival of the DAY OFF. Yep you heard it, an actual day off every week... almost like a normal person 😁 which allows me the time to catch up on admin, appointments, planning and some much needed me-time. I hadn't realised how much I was neglecting myself until I started taking that one day back. Despite the old adage that if you find a job you love, you will never work a day in your life..... this job is HARD. Physically, mentally and emotionally HARD. That leads me to another blog coming soon!

So, after the world's longest intro..... My question today is Who's on your team??

Now dressage and the horse world in general can be quite a solo sport. I think whether you want to achieve your dreams competing in any discipline, or just enjoy owning and riding horses; there is a great need for a suppport team.

Let's start with the obvious and bare bones of your support team. The vet and farrier. Most of us hope to see our vets as little as possible! A yearly check with vaccinations would be the minimum, but it is when we really need them it becomes so apparent how important that relationship is. It is imperitive you find a vet you trust, that is approachable when you are unsure what to do and alongside their knowledge in their field ACTUALLY CARES. I am very lucky to be stabled within a stone's throw of Bell Equine so I am confident the best medical care is always minutes away.
Our farrier we see rather more frequently, often more than we see members of our own family! Again the biggest contender here is trust, a farrier needs to be experienced and support your decisions whilst guiding you in the right direction. He needs to work in conjunction with your vet if the necessity arises and be reliable. There are many good farriers out there who visit the bermuda triangle ona regular basis... no good to me! I have used Robin Burchell for many years, and dread the day he retires! Will be holding X factor style auditions for his replacement 😂

After this the dentist and saddler come in. Your vet may perform your dentistry, or you may use an EDT. The horse's mouth needs at least yearly attention to remain comfortable, whether you are riding them or just to maintain health. The saddler needs to look at the overall picture of your horse's conformation and way of going, not fit a saddle in isolation. Again this may include discussion with your vet, farrier, trainer or body worker to find a solution. Louisa Cuomo gets my vote here.

If you are looking to do anything more than very basic hacking, you are probably going to employ a trainer. Whether you call them an instructor, coach, teacher or otherwise; their role is to guide and support you through your equestrian journey (this doesn't mean they are at your beck and call 24/7 #justsaying). It is someone who is able to work through yours and your horse's weaknesses and build on your strengths, in a style that suits you and your development. There will always be those you just don't click with, don't be afraid to move on if you no longer feel it is working for you. Most trainers will also support your decision to attend clinics with different people, it is all conducive to learning as long as styles don't vary too much. Leanne Wall has been my go to for a long time, but I have had some very helpful sessions with several other trainers including Bobby Hayler and Jill Day most recently. Poor Janine Lamy and Marion Bush get to help with our floor-leaving capabilities 😉

The regularity of visits needed from a body worker will depend on the type and level of work your horse is in. I find 12 weekly McTimoney appointments with 4 weekly sports massages work for Socks. Now that Mouse is pretty much retired he gets a monthly maintenance massage from my super Sponsor Optimum Touch Equine and will see my McTimoney practitioner Sandra Firth only if there is a problem. I also consider myself to be an athlete, albeit a rather short tubby one, so 8 weekly Osteopath appointments and 4 weekly sports massages keep my back from locking up too badly.

On top of these health care professionals you may also need a bitting expert, nutritionist or even a groom depending on your circumstances. Build your team wisely!

Now for the biggy. Who looks after you?
Equally as important are those who keep your mind healthy. The people who cheer you on at the slightest achievement, wipe your tears (or blood) when things go off plan and generally there for you. They understand your mood can completely change if your score starts with a 5 or a 7, that you probably are worried your horse's puffy leg means he will never be sound again, or laugh with you when you really could just cry. I am so lucky to have a supportive family and partner, non-horsey but well trained in boot removal, horse holding and knowing my nerves make me a snappy witch at shows! The icing on the cake are my horsey pals, we can laugh, cry,  eat cake and drink prosecco (or vimto) like the best of them and I BLOODY LOVE THEM.









Comments